What to Expect From Your Sclerotherapy Treatment
Before having any treatment, you will first come in for a consultation that will include a patient questionnaire, information about compression therapy, a physical and health history examination, and possibly a short Doppler Exam.
Before you come in for sclerotherapy, please:
- Do not apply lotion or shave your legs 1 day prior to your appointment
- Have something to eat so you don’t have an empty stomach
- For best results, avoid for 3-5 days prior to injection:
- Omega 3
- Vitamin E
- St. John’s Wort
- Aspirin (unless you are taking it heart or stroke condition)
- NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) eg. Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen
- Alcohol (48 hours). If you are taking blood thinners, prednisone or steroids, we may be unable to treat
We unfortunately can not treat you if you are pregnant. Also, please let us know if you are breastfeeding. If at all possible, please do not bring children to your appointment
Please bring with you:
- A pair of shorts or loose fitting pants to wear home
- Your valid OHIP card
- A list of your current medications
Your experience with sclerotherapy will depend on the treatment area and the condition of the affected veins.
Generally speaking, your appointment will last approximately 45 minutes. If the affected veins are in your legs, we will most likely have you lay down with your legs elevated. You may experience some mild discomfort during the treatment.
After your appointment, we will give you detailed care instructions for the treatment area, which may include wearing compression stockings. You may notice some side effects for a few days, including bruising, redness, swelling, discomfort, or raised skin.
You may also notice some brown patches or lines after treatment. In most cases, these spots will disappear within a few months.
Seek medical help if you notice:
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Coughing up blood
- Visual disturbances